Yesterday we harvested well over 100,000 (500 grams) red russian kale seeds without any effort or maintenance from about 10 plants! The best part is that it only took 5 minutes to harvest them. Check it out! And there are a few purple sprouting broccoli plants on their way. Brassicas are biennial, another words they have a life span of 2 years. In the first year they build up strength and a good strong root system to then go to flower and make seeds in the second year.
Doing your own seed saving is absolutely worth it, especially when you create a low maintenance garden (aka no dig and mulched). This enables you to keep more plants for a longer period of time with a lot less work. Nature always tends to grow towards abundance when you give it a chance.
The rooster at the end of the video is up for adoption to a good home for free as we have 2 more roosters. He is an excellent rooster and does a great job at keeping the hens safe. Please contact us if you want to take him: http://gardensforlife.ie/contact-us
For those of you that missed the general seed saving info:
Saving seeds from plants in your own garden has many advantages.
- Your plants will adapt to your local condition and grow stronger year after year.
- You can save money and harvest large amounts of top quality fresh seeds.
- You can keep varieties that are no longer available for sale.
- You will become more self-reliant.
- You can develop your own varieties of fruit, flowers and vegetables.
- You can share excess seeds and plant material with friends, then you’ve got a backup.